My Blog List

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Endless Grass Roots!

 Digging up the grass roots, what an endless job! Every day I go out to check my flower beds and every day more grass has suddenly popped up!  I worked on my long perennial bed today removing long grass and stealthy shasta daisy seedlings as I went along. I'm three quarters done that bed now! One more day should do it! :)  Then I have to shovel some soil  from the dirt pile next to the shed into the wheelbarrow, mix it with Sunshine Mix and sheep manure, then shovel it into all the holes I'm leaving behind in that flower bed. I moved 2 little malva plantlets which had sprouted up in odd places. Hey, there! Almost trampled a baby columbine. Moved them to a nicer location.



Instead of focusing on grass and dandelions, I'm going to try and focus on the beautiful, healthy growing and blooming (or about to bloom) plants sitting patiently on my deck waiting to find their 'forever' homes.

I planted the above regal geraniums into a big green tub at the bottom of the deck stairs, along with some Diamond Frost euphorbia, some white bacopa and some parrot vines. It looks quite attractive, if I do say so myself!

Garden Gnomes waiting to explore their new home  :)
Parrot Tulips with growing Hollyhocks in background, Clematises and oriental poppy to the right...

The hollyhocks are all growing like gang busters except for the one which I transplanted there about two weeks ago. (It had come up in the vegetable garden of all places and my husband had dug it out while raking and cleaning there.) It ended up with totally bare roots, so I'm not surprised it hasn't grown yet. It probably went into shock!  I added some good "Sunshine Mix" soil and a handful of blood and bone meal when planting it to it's new location. So far it hasn't died, so I guess that's one positive thing...

My General Sikorska clematis is growing the best of the three. My new little Alba Luxurians is doing well considering how tiny it was when I planted it last summer... The Jackmanii clematis is a bit of a disappointment. It's slow to sprout and slow growing as well, with barely any leaves. I added a handful of blood and bone meal 2 weeks ago, but maybe it's time for a shot of Miracle Grow.  Also time to check last years old stems to see it they are still alive and sprouting any new leaves. Otherwise they need to be clipped off.
Tiny tomato seedlings

Radishes are up...  (Chives to the left)


 The veggie garden is showing signs of life. The biggest plants right now, of course are the 2 original rhubarb plants and the huge ancient chives plant. My husband planted 7 of the little tomato seedlings, which I had started in the house, out into the garden 3 days ago. (4 heirloom Black Krim and 3 Lemon Boys).  The weather has been cool and wet, so a big shot of sunshine would make a huge difference!   Not much sun in the forecast for the next few days, though...  

Pond plants


No comments:

Post a Comment