My Blog List

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Beautiful May Day

This is such an exciting anticipatory time of year!  But so much work as well.
Thus far we still have NO leaves on the trees here in central Alberta. Last year by the end of April we could already see a faint greenish hue as the leaves were getting ready to emerge from their buds....  Not so this year.

The lawn is quickly turning green now, though, especially after the 2 days of rain that we had on the weekend.  There are big buds on many of the trees and shrubs especially my huge honeysuckle shrub, so it shouldn't be long now before the trees green up!  The sun is shining warmly today, although we have a bit of a wind which is, strangely enough, coming from the south rather than the usual west or northwest....  A beautiful day to be outside gardening, golfing or whatever you choose to do! :)



The tulips at the side of the house are tall and have fat buds on them so they will be popping out any time now! :)  (Last year the first red tulips started blooming here on May 2.)



My clematises are showing signs of life, at least 2 out of 3 are. The General Sikorska was the first, as usual, but only has a couple of small leaves coming out of the ground at this time.  My newest addition the white Alba Luxuriana was not far behind and it has a tiny shoot with tiny leaves also coming out of the ground. So far nothing from my Jackimanii.
 I had left the clematis stems on the trellises over winter just like the "Lois Hole perennials" book says.  Last year some of the stems were still alive in spring and they sprouted new leaves on them. Then I trimmed back just the dead stem parts. I'm hoping the same will be the case again this year so that, along with some new growth out of the ground, my clematises will get bushier each year. :)

General Sikorska clematis on right, with rudbeckia in front of it. Small alba luxuriana clematis in centre back with oriental poppy leaves in front of it.  It's a start!


The daffodils in my stack stone bed by the pond have leaves, but no flowers yet. (Did I accidently plant the late blooming variety? LOL!)  But the deer have been eating the daffodil leaves! All the books say that daffodils are deer resistant. So much for THAT theory!
On the other hand, maybe it can be attributed to the marmot! Yes, I have another marmot residing nearby. The dog chases it frequently but it always manages to escape.  I sprayed all the tulips and daffodils today with "Green Earth Animal Repellent".  Time will tell if that product works. I called the company that makes it (on their 1-800 number) and I was told that it's basis is pepper oil, a natural product, so it is harmless to humans and animals, but deters animals through the smell.  (Good to know since we not only have a dog, but 5 cats wandering around freely on our acreage.)  The down side is that it doesn't last that long. It needs to be reapplied after a good rain or a good watering.  Hmmm....  back to mixing 'Plantskydd'?

Nibbled daffodils...

Three out of 5 of my rose bushes are showing buds or some kind of sign of life now!  Looking forward to seeing them bloom!  I removed all the peat moss and mulch from around the rose bushes yesterday and began applying some bone meal in the soil around their roots to help them grow.   :)
Today I spent several more hours toiling in the sun, (whew!) digging out shasta daisy seedlings and tons of quack grass from my stack stone bed.   Those never ending grass wars  have begun again in earnest !



Holly hock back left, close to house, with a number of bearded irises growing well.


I have to dig up my Winnipeg Parks rose bush and move it forward about 2 feet in the flower bed to put more distance between it and the large Baby's Breath perennial there. Last year the Baby's Breath got so big that it flopped over on top of the rose bush and prevented the poor thing from setting any buds.  I had to stake the Baby's Breath up and even trim some of it off.  I had already dug up half of the baby's breath  a few weeks earlier.... Talk about vigorous growth!

My unassuming little pasque flowers are gorgeous! I am SO impressed with them.

These little beauties are pasque flowers. They look quite similar to wild crocuses, but they grow well in a flower bed





Angel bed
Next gardening project.... clean quack grass out of the angel bed... tomorrow. :)




No comments:

Post a Comment