My Blog List

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

And the work goes on! :)

 Sunday  May 22, 2011

What a lot of rain we got towards the end of the May Long (Victoria Day) weekend!  We managed to finish the new stack stone flower bed just in time, thanks mainly to all of my “better half’s” hard work!  :)  

After lugging around dirt, stones, plants, full watering cans and shovels, the next morning I felt like I had been hit by a big truck (or what I imagine it WOULD feel like, if a person had been hit by a truck!)  

I started planting a few things in the new bed, but had to stop because of the rain. I did manage to put in the grass infested false spiria bush, after pulling out most (I hope) of the long grass roots.  It’s in the centre of my new flower bed, which is also actually the very same location it was in previously, without the fluffy soil and the nice surroundings.  The irisies that were in the same location were so tightly packed with grass that it was very difficult to separate them.... most of them ended up in the compost, I’m afraid. :( 

I also planted the hardy rododendron, the bleeding heart, and Miss Kim lilac there.  I had second thoughts about that location for the rododendron,though. After reading the tag again, I decided to dig it up and locate it in the east flower bed up against the house.  

The bleeding heart bush might get too much sun there, as well, but I’m going to leave it there for now and see what happens. In northern Manitoba I had a huge, healthy bleeding heart in the bed in front of the steps which faced southeast and it always did fabulously well. In fact I did not know that bleeding hearts aren’t fond of too much sun until a friend commented on how well mine was doing considering the sunny location.  Even after that, I left it there. I thought, leave well enough alone! (I wonder if it’s still there now after almost 5 years....) 

I have now planted 4 out of the 6 large green tubs (half barrels) in our yard. I put dark blue petunias (not Wave) with yellow flowering bidens and dichondra falls in the tub by the telephone post near the driveway.  There’s still room for a few “basket stuffers”, too, so I might add some blue regata lobelia....

And did I mention that I planted white osteospermum daisies with pink  geraniums in the other tub. They are starting to look so good! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment