My Blog List

Saturday, November 13, 2010

Ducks and Geese on the Lake

I saw the strangest sight a few days ago, one of those odd things you don't often get the chance to see.  I was taking the dog for a walk to the lake late in the afternoon and trailing us, as often is the case, was two of our cats, Milo and Harley. As we got close to the lake I could hear a cacaphony of squawking and honking. As we emerged from the trees onto the beach, I saw what was happening. The temperature had dropped the night before and the lake had frozen over. A multitude of geese and ducks were standing on the lake in long rows in about an inch of water!  The sun was starting to set and the sight was so unusual.

Even Harley and Milo thought something was odd. Both cats walked out onto the ice to investigate, where the day before the waves had been lapping and their feet had been getting wet.

'I wish I had my camera,' I thought to myself!
Should I stay and enjoy the sight a while longer or do I have time to run back down the path to the house for the camera to save this sight for posterity??? I was torn! Should I leave the cats alone on the shore (which I have never down before, having always coaxed them to follow me when I head for home)?

' YES'! I thought! 'But I have to hurry before the sun goes down and I lose the light!'

 So I RAN as fast as I could back up the path. Milo our swift little 6 month old kitty wasn't going to be left behind and he raced after me. Harley, our adventurous little 4 year old soon followed. I raced up the hill towards the house, huffing and puffing, and ran up the back steps with Milo in close pursuit.  I literally threw Milo into the kitchen, then grabbed the camera off the counter and ran out the door, back down the path towards the lake.  The dog was jumping straight up in the air in delight at this point! (WOW! Another walk already!?) And she eagerly raced after me.

'Are the birds still going to be there or will they have come to their senses and left', I wondered as I ran.
I arrived back on the beach in short order and saw the geese and ducks were still there!  I slowly walked across the beach in their direction and took several photos of them, propping my elbows on one of the picnic tables there to try and get a clear shot.

Here are the results:

Photo taken from Shore


Zoomed in photo from shore

Now the geese are starting to leave ( I think my dog on shore was making them nervous.)


           Last minute accommodation adjustments before sunset...






No comments:

Post a Comment