My Blog List

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Juniper Wreath Creations and Porcupine invasions

Not much happening in the gardening department anymore...  A bit more clean up, that's about it.
We vigorously clipped our huge juniper bush as it has grown so large, it was making it difficult to walk down the steps beside the rock garden. What to do with the multitude of clipped branches?



I found my wire wreath frame in the shed and got out the horticultural wire, then proceeded to wire some of the branches to the frame. I have discovered the hard way that I need to wear gloves for this procedure. In the past I had come away with an itchy rash on both wrists where the juniper branches have touched my skin. I had no idea until then that I was allergic to the resin in the juniper branches. But they make such a beautiful wreath that I can't stop using them.




Some of the branches have beautiful small blue berries on them so I tried to use as many of those as I could... ( I have no idea if the berries are edible by any sort of wildlife, bird, mammal or insect.  They look very attractive, if nothing else.)  I also tied 3 branches together in sort of a Juniper bough and will put a Christmas ribbon around one end, then hang it on one of the posts of the deck. Next I have to sort out the wreath decorations and put some of them on the juniper wreath, and then it will be ready to hang up by the front door.



I googled 'Juniper berries' and discovered that Juniper Berries are used in Northern Europe and the United States in marinades, roast pork, and sauerkraut. They are used to enhance meat, stuffings, sausages, stews, and soups. Who knew!


 We recently had a young porcupine wandering through our yard again. I had surprised it on the deck a few nights before, when I went to let the dog out. It was lurking around the dog's water bowl next to the pump, but made a quick exit, 'stage left' when it heard me.  The dog was curious at the time, but stayed a safe distance away from it.

A few days later the porcupine was back and this time the dog herded it up towards the deck, right by the Juniper shrub.  I was surprised to see a small porcupine standing motionless with its nose touching the bottom of deck railing and it's little tail towards the dog's direction, right near where I was standing! It had hardly any quills on it's back, only what appeared to be long bushy looking hair, but it did have 6 or 8 short little quills on its tail.

I read recently that porcupines don't 'shoot' their quills, but rather whack the offending predator with their tail, impaling them with the quills.  Then it takes 10 days to 3 months for the quills to grow back.
I quickly called the dog and brought her in the house! She has been zapped by porcupines twice already, once the first fall we were here and then again the very next spring, resulting in 34 quills embedded in her chest and legs the first time and 52 in her muzzle, neck, legs and chest the second time. My husband and I yanked them out with pliers both times, he wielding the pliers and I sitting next to the dog and with my arms wrapped around her to hold her still and give her needed sympathy. Luckily none of them resulted in any infection, but I'm sure the dog was in some pain and discomfort both times.  Since then she has learned to keep her distance from porcupines, even when they invade our yard, her territory. Smart dog!

Even dried flowers and plants have a certain beauty!


Now I'm starting to wonder if  the porcupine is residing under our deck!    That would certainly explain the chewed off bark on my plum trees!  (And does it eat Juniper berries?!) I did spray the plum branches generously after that with an animal repellent just in case. So far we have had no precipitation to wash the spray off, but that should be happening in the next few days according to our weather forecast.  I guess that means I will have to get out the Plantskydd powder once more and mix up another batch to spray on the trees and shrubs.

Dried 'bunny tails'  ligularis Ovatis

Harley, enjoying the sunshine


Plantskydd is supposed to work for at least 3 months no matter what the weather.  I'd better spray my 3 little spruce trees behind the house as well. I noticed that something has been nibbling on them and I suspect it's the deer. We did put some wire fencing around them, but we ran short and one of the tiny spruces is still quite exposed.

Lexy surveying her domain


I know if I tell people about porcupines in the yard, they usually say something like, "You should get a 22 and shoot it. Porcupines are a nuisance."
I don't understand that kind of thinking.  I could never do that. We bought this place out here at the lake because of the wilderness around here. So how can a person complain if you have exactly what you paid for right outside your door?!  I noticed today that it is leaving the plum trees alone (for now, anyway) and is eating the bark off some of the wild saskatoon and chokecherry saplings nearby. And as long as the dog and the cats aren't in danger, I'm going to let it be.


Spirit


(Another porcupine on the deck again a while ago. They are after the water in the dog's bowl over by the pump. It is mostly frozen, but partially melts during the day. It rained a bit this evening which may turn to snow over night. I suspect that once we have snow on the ground, the porcupines and other wild creatures would eat snow to get their fluids?  Maybe I should remove the bowl anyway, just to deter them from coming around.... )







No comments:

Post a Comment