My Blog List

Monday, October 25, 2010

October snow


Not many leaves left on the trees, but they are beautiful none the less....




Ash tree berries add so much color to the greys and browns at this time of the year here in central Alberta.


Rather hard to tell which birds these are from this photo, but they are the tundra swans returning from their summer in the north. They hang out at Buffalo lake for a couple of weeks, then they silently continue their journey south. Unlike the Canada Geese which you hear coming long before they are flying overhead, only one or two Tundra Swans in the flock occasionally make a sound as they are flying.
It's a thrill to look up and see these huge magnificent white birds flying so gracefully and silently above your head!

We were in calgary this weekend and I was amazed to see there are still quite a number of trees there with leaves on them.  There are very few leaves left on the trees here,2 hours north east of Calgary.

Now for the "S" word! Yes, we woke up to snow on the ground this morning! It was still mostly here this evening and those flakes might find some additional company by morning.  I need to go check my 'mulch mounds' around my rose bushes tomorrow to see if they are still in tact or need to be replenished. We had quite the wind today so who knows where my protective coverings ended up!

This pretty much winds down my 2010 garden blog from Buffalo Lake, Alberta.  I have enjoyed it immensely and hope to take it up again in March or April of 2011, and so I thank you for following this humble blog and wish you a warm winter!

No comments:

Post a Comment