My Blog List

Saturday, July 20, 2019

April/ May greenery 2019

May 2019 Greening Up

May 11, trees are opening their leaf buds



Everything is finally greening up! 
The spring seemed so slow in coming this year. Everything is finally starting to green up. (May 26/19)



May 4 dahlia sprout - a new Thomas Edison 

May 16/19 Cana Lilies and zucchini squash

greenhouse 
Seedlings are mostly sprouting
Seedlings- herbs, tomatoes, spaghetti squash, zucchinis,

Herb seedlings 

May 4

Coming along well May 4/19

Swallows are back May 6/19





Lavatara seedlings did well but from the ones I planted into the Round bed, 2 out of 3 died.
Only 3 cosmos seeds sprouted, but they dried out one day while we were in Penticton and that was that. I sprinkled a few more cosmos seeds in my flower beds, but hardly any sprouted. 
May 15- first yellow/ pink tulip is about to open in stackstone bed. 

We went to Penticton in May for the Meadowlark Festival and I hadn't Bobbexed any plants before I left. Unfortunately the rabbits of Franklin Ground squirrels ate off all the tulips in my stackstone bed. 

My peony Dominion Day, next to the deck stairs is 8 inches tall and looking very healthy. 
My new peony, planted last year next to the house is up, but it never did get any buds. (I think this peony is white? Or is this my Karl Rosenfeld from PJ's plantation? )

In my lower rock garden, the day lilies are growing as well as the Maltese crosses and my one surviving Autumn joy 

Top of rock garden- Blue sages are growing especially the outer one. The creeping Phlox is looking nice. The sedum there is going crazy and I had to yank most of it out next to the Phlox.

Stackstone bed-
Persian cornflowers are about 3 feet tall.
Wild rose bushes are sprouting. Red Currant bush has leaves and fruit starting on it.

Goldfish Pond

We put 15 goldfish in the pond on May 8. Added Ponder liquid on May 10and some barley straw on may 11 or 12. 







goldfish release, May 8/19





Bought a Bee House at Parkland Nurseries. Put it in a tree next to the deck but can't see any bees using it yet. 

Unwrapped all rose bushes. Almost no shoots in sight. They are all very slow this spring, even the John Davis which is usually first. 

Lots of fruit blossoms this year. The pear tree was modestly covered, but the plum blossoms were magnificent and the smell was very heavenly.

We will be getting some crab apples and small Hyer apples this year, too. 


Pear blossoms 




No comments:

Post a Comment