My Blog List

Friday, July 23, 2010

Beautiful Blossoms, Thunderstorm & Hail

Day lilies and maltese cross

Maltese Cross close up

Things are looking so fantastic out there! With all the rain , everything is nice and green, but now the last 2 days of sunshine has encouraged all the flowers to burst open and it's looking beautiful!!!
 The maltese cross is full of clusters of red flowers and the delphiniums are full of tall spires of purple and white blossoms.

The day lilies and oriental lilies are all starting to open now and I am eagerly waiting to see what the new bulbs that I bought at the Lily farm last fall will look like!


The deer have been munching on some of my delphiniums lately, which I must have missed spraying with Plantskydd.  Because so many of the plants in my beds have grown in leaps and bounds in recent weeks, I mixed up a new batch of Plantskydd today and sprayed everything that I thought might look attractive to my four-legged friends.




My Clematises are finally blooming and looking great! My new young Jackmanii is out performing my more established 2 year old Genaeral Sikorska. Jackmanii has lots of large deep purple blossoms on it although it is skimpy on stems being so new and young and all. The 'General' has lots of healthy stems and tons of buds, but has only just begun to bloom. In another week or so it will look spectacular!  My tiny white Alba Luxuriana is growing slowly but probably won't bloom for another year or too. Maybe some fertilizer wouldn't hurt either!


My hollyhocks are tall and stately looking, with an abundance of buds on all of them. They will probably start blooming in another week or two.

I wonder what I will have to stake up or cut down tomorrow? We had another wicked thunderstorm this past evening complete with a huge downpour of rain which went on for hours and even some hail for a while. There was a spectacular and noisy electrical display which knocked out our power 4 times, although only just long enough to make all the clocks on the electronic things in the house start flashing.
But the 7 day forecast shows that we should be getting 7 days in a row after this of sunny warm weather without a hint of showers or rain storms!

No comments:

Post a Comment