My Blog List

Monday, July 12, 2010

And the Winner is....! (Tomatoe Plants)

Although it is is one of the smaller plants, the Husky Red tomato plant was the first to produce fruit! We have eaten 3 ripened tomatoes off Husky Red already!

We bought this little plant at a small local greenhouse, while the others (Health Kick, Bush Champion, Super Fantastic, and Lemon Boy) were bought at a Home Depot back in late May. They were quite small then and I repotted them as soon as I got them home.

The Black Krim tomatoes were started from seeds which I had saved from last year's Black Krim tomatoes. They are rather ugly looking tomatoes (in my opinion), a blood red and black mix, but they are large and very sweet tasting! I should have started them much sooner than I did, though. The plants are still very small and still in pots on the deck.  We have been fertilizing them regularly and hope that will help them to grow and eventually we'll plant them out into the vegetable garden with the rest.

(photos to follow)

No comments:

Post a Comment