My Blog List

Thursday, July 7, 2016

Veggies and Other Good Things

  Veggies and Other Good Things June 6 to 10/2016

The tomatoes are doing well. The Early Girls did not thrive at first.  I’m wondering if I need to buy a new Early Girl tomatoe. Maybe keeping the seeds year after years from the same plants weakens the seeds??? I’m sure I read that somewhere. 
The Lemon Boy tomatoes grew the fastest. We also bought a new Beefsteak tomato this year. 
The tumblers were small and spindly this year and took their time to grow. They are doing ok but not thriving. The patio toamtoes are doing quite well.
We have 2 tomato plants in the veg garden (Purple Russian?) and 2 tomatoes on the deck, a patio and an early girl. A tumbler which I repotted yesterday is coming up on the deck too. Our dog, Brandy has been good about not bothering my plant pots. Thank you, my girl!

Along the outside wall of the greenhouse in the big pots we have :
1 pot of potatoes
2 Early girls, 
2 lemon boys, 
1 patio tomato, 
1 purple Russian
1 Beef Steak.

Looking forward to a good harvest.

The squashes were growing well in their little pots in the greenhouse so I planted them out into the veg garden a couple of days ago. (June 10) There are 2 zucchinis, 2 Spaghetti squashes, and 2 butternut squashes. There is also one small squash in the raised bed. (Spaghetti) So far so good.

The veggie seeds in the raised bed have sprouted quite well, Beets, radishes, dill, onion sets, peas lettuce and beans. 

We germinated the beans in a glass jar using a wet paper towel. Then we planted a few straight into the raised bed and a few into small pots in the greenhouse. The ones in the green house sprouted first and are about 5 inches tall. The ones in the raised bed only just broke the surface. Why: I think some seeds need warm soil so the greenhouse is good for that. 

One row of lettuce did not sprout at all. Old seeds maybe, or I planted them too deep? 
Might have to try again with a new batch of seed.


Oriental poppies are gorgeous! they popped open June 9.
Clematises. My Durandii has big leaves and beautiful dark blue flowers on it now.  :)
The Nellie Moser clematis has tall stems, small leaves and not one flower bud! :(


It’s such a pleasure to go out and do a “garden tour” and see how everything is sprouting and growing bigger by the day. I love June!  :D

No comments:

Post a Comment