My Blog List

Friday, May 1, 2015

Spring is Springing and Springing!


Hooray! Spring is springing in earnest now!
The tree swallows came back yesterday and a pair of them have already claimed the new bird house that my sweet husband built out of cedar to replace some of the old worn out bird houses.


My rose bushes had started spouting shoots right through the burlap covers so I had to quickly take the burlap coverings off and remove all the peat moss and mulch. I don't remember them sprouting this early before. In fact last year most of my old branches were dead and the roses had to grow again from the roots except for the Morden Ruby. 


To Do- John Davis Rose bush in my Round Bed and Winnipeg Parks in Long Bed. I hope Parks survived as "someone" dug around it and removed a lot of the mulch and peat moss. The burlap wrapping was loose and then disappeared one very windy day. I will probably find it in the environmental ravine. Should go look. Not sure who the culprit was! The deer don't usually disturb my rose bushes.  Hmmm, maybe the dog decided to bury her ham bone there?  Interesting mystery.



I have dug out meters and meters of grass roots in the last few days and only have 2 1/2 beds done so far. There are still 3 large beds left to do and the bottom of my rock garden. By then the first beds will be sprouting all the quack grass that I had missed, so it is just a big endless cycle. Good thing I enjoy gardening! 

Greenhouse
I transplanted some Early Girl tomatoes into bigger pots 2 days ago and yesterday I did the same for some of my Lemon Boys, which are sweet yellow tomatoes.

Today I transplanted 3 Butternut squashes, 2 spaghetti squashes and some more tomatoes: 3 Tumblers and 3 Patio tomatoes. I'm running out of medium sized pots! Might have to go to Wal Mart and get a few cheap plastic ones or maybe just use some of my milk jugs to plant things to give away. I often give squashes and tomatoes away to friends and neighbours, but I seldom get the old pots back.


Peonies
The 2 peonies that I transplanted last fall are up and growing but I wonder if they will bloom this year. The last time I transplanted one, it actually did bloom a little the first year and then bloomed really nicely the 2nd year, so I consider myself quite lucky there. WE'll just have to wait and see! :)


Tulips!
My first tulip opened today! Yay!  It's one of my old red ones, but I can see the new yellow and pink ones getting ready to open, too!  My daffodils are slow this year, but I'm so thrilled to see things blooming, regardless! :) 
I guess I'd better dust off my bottle of Bobbex before the deer find the tulips. 


Trees
The leaves have popped out on the poplar trees and the crab-apple trees already which is early this year (April 29/15). The Mountain Ash shows no leaves yet, but thats not unusual to have it stout leaves a little later.
It is so gratifying to see the fresh green leaves again and know that spring really is here now, in spite of the ugly winter weather we had last weekend.





Old Man Winter's last present- April 24/25



This is more what I like to see!
I planted these bulbs last September/ early October. The package shows them to be more pink than this with a hint of yellow, but maybe it has something to do with the high alkalinity of our soil that they turned out looking so yellow.




Happy Gardening!







No comments:

Post a Comment