My Blog List

Friday, July 4, 2014

Love My Beautiful Garden! June 2014



June 8 -26, 2014


Wow! Am I far behind in my garden blog! I guess I have been doing so much gardening and no time for blogging! :)
 Everything is growing gangbusters now and looking quite fabulous, if I do say so myself…


June 8 -white anenomies blooming  in angel bed

angel bed perennials all growing well

 Bleeding heart- blooming quietly in triangle bed June 8.



June 9  Bearded irises blooming at side of house. Ones in the bottom of the Rock garden started blooming not long after, as well.



June 11  Peony in triangle bed- Lots of healthy looking buds!  White peony at the end of  my Long Perennial Bed has some rotted stems… must be too wet there. Must remember not to water as often in late spring next year. Only 1 bud still growing...


June 26 irises and peony showing off buds  Pict 17


June 22   Petunias in deck pots are blooming profusely


New Dahlia  in deck pot  Pict 10  2

Bought this cute little dahlia at Canadian Tire garden centre in Red Deer


Blue sage perennial "May Knight" The bees love this plant!



Pict 6  and 13    Daisies Blooming   June 24

The white daisies started popping open all over my stackstone bed and also a number of them in the long perennial bed and rock garden. The daises are quite tall and tend to fall over, so they need to be cut off regularly so that they don't shade the rose bushes and the tiny Lavatara that I had planted there.
(Lavatara was started from seed in our greenhouse in mid April.)

Stacksone bed and pond




June 24 - My tiger lilies started opening and are still looking fabulous now in early July.  So pleased to have these 'ordinary' lilies in my garden again!





 Red "Thompson" dahlia, first bud opened on June 24.  They are so huge and lovely! I have had these tubers for over 12 years and keep digging them up and re-starting them the following spring.




June 26  This year I planted a new clematis called  Nellie Moser.  It has pink and white blossoms and doesn't mind shade. That's a good thing as the trees nearby have grown so tall that this area doesn't get as much sun as it used to. My 6 year old clematis, General Sikorska secumbed to the battle with Old Man Winter, sadly.  My 4 year old Jackmani didn't grow this spring either.  Both clematises had been quite dependable, but we had had a really brutal winter.

Must remember to water the clematis well in late Oct./ early Nov. before the first snowfall and maybe add some mulch on top as well for added protection.


 Pink and yellow columbine starting to bloom, and looking great!





 Snow in Summer - This short perennial is growing well and blooming nicely. Had to dig some up and plant it at the shady end of the stack stone bed to keep it from taking over! Also gave a chunk away.

My creeping phlox in that same flower bed died except for the pink clump which, strangely enough, had never really grown well since I had planted it 5 or 6 years ago. Go figure!



Giant rhubarb plants June 8
Still hoping to get time to make some rhubarb jam. :)










No comments:

Post a Comment