My Blog List

Saturday, May 3, 2014

My Greenhouse is Full!

My Greenhouse is full!
I finally found the time (what with holidaying, Easter weekend visitors, Guild meetings and other obligations) to start planting my tomato and squash seeds in the greenhouse on April 25 (2014).

I washed about 100 small pots the day before and then I got busy and I planted 50 pots of seeds!

Tomatoes:
4 pots of Lemon Boys seeds (Produces sweet yellow tomatoes)
3pots of Early Girls seeds (my favourite as they always grow fast)
5 pots of Black Krim (strange looking dark purpley heirlooms)
4 pots of Purple Russians (also heirloom tomatoes, odd colour and shape)
2 pots of Tumblers (Love their tiny fruit!)
3 pots of New Zealand tomatoes (Only 1 plant survived last year, with no fruit to speak of, but I'm willing to try again…)

Unfortunately I must have forgotten to collect Early Girl Seeds in the fall of 2013. My super-diligent husband picked ALL the tomatoes off ALL the plants one day in anticipation of frost.  I had no way of knowing exactly which tomatoes were Early Girls, but I did have some seeds left from 2012 to plant…)

Squashes:
 4 Pots Spaghetti Squash seeds (one of our favourites!)
4 pots of Butternut Squash seeds
3 pots of Acorn Squash
1 pot yellow zucchini
1 pot green zucchini

Each pot has 2 or 3 seeds in it so we'll see how many actually sprout and live to become a viable fruit-bearing plant.  Last year I gave away tomato and squash plants to numerous friends and neighbours since I had so many. (Trying to keep it to a reasonable number this year :)

Also:
1pot catnip seeds
1 pot dill seeds

Flowers:
1 pot calendulas (my own seeds)
2 pots marigolds (Red Durangos- own seeds)
2 pots Bachelor Buttons/ Blue Cornflowers- 1 own seeds, 1 package seeds)
2 Cosmos- both package seeds
2 lavatara- both own seeds
2 Sweet pea pots- 1 Cupani package, 1 Cuthbertson  package, 1 mix of both )
2 Morning Glories seeds (package)
2 nasturtiums- (mixed colours- package)
1 pot oriental poppies seeds (own seeds)
3 pots castor beans


Store bought plants so far:
1 medium sized tumber tomato plant ( with flowers already!)
1 red oriental poppy (not sure yet where it'll go…)
2 Monard/ Bee balms
1 rose bush called "Turbo" (super hardy, zone 3/  Probably will dig up some irises next to the house and plant it there…)

The spring weather has been quite chilly at night so we have to turn the greenhouse heater on and some days leave it on until late morning! No wonder things are reluctant to germinate… :(









No comments:

Post a Comment