My Blog List

Thursday, July 4, 2013

Roses and Roses!

My roses are loving the hot sunny weather after having wet feet for 4 weeks!



The first to bloom was the youngest, my newest addition to my rose garden, the gorgeous Morden Sunrise rose.

It was followed closely by the oldest rose bush, the very hardy hanse rose that grow as wild as a weed and needs no fussing whatsoever.

Close up of the Hansa rose


A rose between two thorns... I mean daisies. :)


Morden Sunrise rose flanked by daisies.


Morden Blush is the first rose bush that I planted 6 years ago after I arrived here at our new home at Buffalo Lake in central AB.  It usually had the first buds and the first blossoms, but was 3rd this year. It have a prolific amount of buds, though and will bloom a second time if I deadhead it.


Morden centennial
The Centennial rose bush was my second addition planted about 5 years ago. I love the colour of the blossoms! It has an abundance of buds this year too. It also will bloom a second time if the conditions are right.

Last summer I bought a second Morden Centennial rose bush at the end of the season. It was hot and dry in its little root bound pot and was calling to me to take it home... So I did! :)

It has a good number of buds on it for being so new to my garden and getting crowded out by the false Spiria shrub next to it. Won't be long before they open, though...


My Morden Ruby rose just opened the first bud late yesterday! It is a stunning deep red and I will add a photo soon.



Winnipeg Parks rose
This Winnipeg Parks is a small rose bush, but the flowers are so beautiful. It has the least number of buds,of any of my bushes, though. It is hardy however, and can survive Alberta winters.




Last garden season I had rose rust on all the wild roses on our property and my garden roses were no exception. I had to trim them all quite severely but they have all recovered this year, quite nicely. Because of all the rain we have in June, the rust came back but again, I cut quite a lot out. I also spray with Neem Oil which seems to keep it from spreading.  It also seems to look after the aphids that weak havoc on my red current shrub as well.


I love the Morden roses as they are hardy to the cold prairie winters and they can survive -40C!  I do mulch them in the fall, though, right after the first bad frost, usually in early October. I pile peat moss around them and add some plant cuttings on top to hold the peat. Then I wrap them with burlap and string. It's a bit of work, yes, but they repay me all summer long with their beauty.

I added an Explorer rose bush to my collection this year. It is a beautiful soft pink climbing rose called John Davis. It's my first climbing rose. Not sure if I have to cut it back in the fall or not, but I will give it a whirl! Right now it is parked on the deck still in its pot, entertaining me with it's beautiful blossoms...
 All the Explorer roses are all very winter hardy as well.

Still debating where its permanent home will be. I think I will dig up the perennial geranium in my Angel bed, once its done blooming and plant John Davis there,  near my favourite Tiger Lilies; my first rose bush in that bed.   :)











No comments:

Post a Comment