My Blog List

Monday, June 10, 2013

Vegetable Garden update June 2//13

I hate to say this, but the weeds seem to be trying to take over my vegetable garden... :(

Thankfully you can't see the weeds in the photo other than the long grass on the outside... :)

The tomato plants are doing okay, but would grow much better with some sunshine. The 4 squash plants in the garden are barely hanging in there. The squashes in the small pots in the greenhouse have now grown twice as big, so I replaced one of the spaghetti squash plants today with a nice healthy greenhouse grown one and added another healthy butternut squash as well. I still have room for one sweet dumpling squash plant (and maybe one final tomato plant) if I skip the zucchini plant or maybe plant it over the non-cooperting carrots!

I am not ready to give up on the carrots. I will bite the bullet so to speak and go buy a carrot seed tape. That's what grew the best carrots last year, although even those were not really great either!  I have a nice big pot of lettuce and dill plants in the greenhouse which I hope to eventually bring up on the deck to grow so I can have easy access to them when I want a fresh garden salad. (Copying Judy K's idea. Thanks, Jude!  :)  )  I have pretty much given up on trying to grow radishes in our very high alkaline soil.

After doing a bit of weeding in the veg garden today I am feeling a bit better about the whole thing. I also happily noticed that many of the peas are showing up above the ground now. No beans have surfaced yet, although I did sprout them all first using the old wet paper towel in a glass trick... Mother Nature sure can be stubborn!

June 10/ 13

The tomatoes in the greenhouse are growing faster than any of the outdoor ones. I attribute that to the windy conditions outside. I switched a few of the deck potted tomatoes with bigger greenhouse ones, so we'll see if that makes a difference.

The rhubarb is growing gigantic in all this rain, rain rain. I made 2 pans of rhubarb squares a few days ago, one for us and one to bring to our quilt guild's Quilt Show this past weekend.  I have plans to make a strawberry rhubarb pie as well...




No comments:

Post a Comment