My Blog List

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Snow - What a Surprise!

First Snow 11/11
Front Yard


We woke up to snow yesterday morning; not really surprising, I guess, for this time of year, but still unwelcome nevertheless.  The weather had been so mild that, as is often the case, we were lulled into a false sense that it would not end... for the time being, at least.  I have to admit it is quite beautiful, though. This morning there is hoar frost on all the trees and bird feeders and deck railing which are sparkling in the morning sunshine and are quite dazzling!

Frost on bird feeder sparkling in the sunshine



Two days ago my feet were happily crunching the thick layer of fallen leaves on the lake trails. The duck pond (slough) was frozen over (it being very shallow) and the dog and 2 cats that had accompanied me on my walk  wandered out on it. Strangely enough, there was also a cloud of about 4 dozen mosquitoes hovering at the end of the pond which is surrounded by tall weeds. Mosquitoes in November??? That lead me to the mistaken conclusion that maybe our warm weather was going to continue for a time....



Yesterday late afternoon, our dog Spirit and one cat,(Lexy) went for a walk with me to the lake. As we were getting close, I could hear the loud sounds of many geese taking off. Through the trees, I saw wave after wave of geese leaving the lake in a southerly direction. Once we got through the trees, I was amazed by the sight on the lake. Hundreds upon hundreds of ducks and geese were floating on the surface. I had never seen so many all in the same place before. I know that Buffalo Lake is on the water fowl migratory route and it was breath taking to see.


Some of the flocks were a little spooked by our sudden presence and the took off in groups to land further away from shore. There were flocks flying low over the water in all directions. I reminded me of an airport where you see planes landing and taking off only a hundred times more activity. Quite an amazing sight to behold! And me without my camera!
The leaves on the trail home were covered with a thin layer of snow. Here and there you could see evidence of rabbit activity, their cute little footprints in the snow. I had just being saying to my husband 2 days before that I hadn't seen very many rabbits on my walks this summer. (They probably saw the dog with me first!) But the tracks proved that they are still here.

Time to get the winter tires put on the car... no more procrastinating!  :)


No more morning coffee on the balcony for a few months...








No comments:

Post a Comment