My Blog List

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Morden Roses

One of the most prairie hardy series of roses were the ones developed in Morden, Manitoba. They are hardy to Zone 3. Can't say that for very many other tea roses.

Morden ruby roses

Morden ruby bush- 2nd summer

Although I am an experienced gardener, I did not have much opportunity to grow roses since most of my gardening years were in the north. I am thrilled to have these gorgeous roses in my garden here in central Alberta.  They require a minimum of fuss, just water them well and plant them where they will get a minimum of 6 hours of sunshine per day. In the spring I add a couple handfuls of blood and bone meal to the soil around them and again about this time of the summer (mid July.)

Morden Blush roses

Morden blush
 Morden Blush blooms the most profusely of my 6 rose bushes, all summer long.  Love this rose! :)
In order to encourage lots of blooms, I deadhead the old rose blooms regularly, so  the rose bush doesn't waste energy producing seeds.


Morden centennial rose
Morden centennial has the most beautiful pink color...

Morden sunrise rose- 1st summer

Sunrise blossom

Morden sunrise has the most beautiful combination of yellow and pale orange flowers. All Morden roses are disease and fungus resistant. Remember to water the soil and not the shrubs themselves if possible and watering earlier in the day is better than late evening to avoid fungus problems.


"Love" tea rose

Red and white blossoms- Love tea rose


 'Love' is only hardy to Zone 4, so it will require a very sheltered spot to grow and a lot of mulching to over-winter it successfully. I am more then willing to give it a try!   :D



No comments:

Post a Comment