My Blog List

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Planting Nearing Completion

The planting is close to being finished now, but I always seem to find one or two more things I want to find space for.

I carefully hoed the vegetable garden yesterday as the 'chickweed' (Creeping Charlie) is growing profusely. The radishes are a couple inches tall and we have our fingers crossed that they will amount to something edible this year. Have not had any success with radishes in this garden although we managed well in northern Manitoba and we had no idea radishes would be so difficult!

The carrots are very, very tiny and the lettuce is sprouting, but much of the rows are still bare.  I decided we would get fresh lettuce one way or another, so I bought a flat of 5 (one was missing) little head lettuce bedding plants and planted them out in the veggie garden today. They put the rest of the seedlings to shame, but maybe it will give them motivation to grow! :)

Last weekend I made a rhubarb apple crisp out of our garden rhubarb and there is still plenty left! Will probably make some rhubarb muffins this weekend or maybe a rhubarb cake, and also some rhubarb jam in the next week or two.

Red Durango marigolds started from seed


Yesterday I planted Red Durango marigolds in my new flower bed. I know that no deer or rodent are likely to eat them (too stinky) so they are safe there. Three of the plants were store bought, but I started the other 4 from seeds and they are blooming now, so I'm quite proud of them  :)

I'm a sucker for a bargain and the plants at Peevey Mart were all 20% off today. My husband, bless his heart, bought another tomato plant (Early Girl) as if we didn't have enough of them already! We have over a dozen tomato plants in various stages of growth, 8 in the veggie garden and many more in pots on the deck.  Not sure how many of them will actually bloom and produce fruit, but I started most of them from seeds so I'm willing to baby them along. :)

We have Black Krim heirloom tomatos, Lemon Boy yellow ones, and Red Hat tomatoes which I started from the seeds of a tomato which we had bought at the grocery store this winter 'on the vine'.
Plus there are 3 medium sized 'beef steak' tomatoes which Husband bought and sneaked into the garden... As if I wouldn't notice!

2 New Plants:
At the same sale I bought a ligularia and a Lewisia Little Plum.

I decided to dig out one of my dahlia plants which had gotten zapped by Jack Frost about 10 days ago and return it to its pot on the deck as a deck plant. Then I planted the Lewisia in its place. Have never seen or heard of this plant before, but I like to try growing something unusual now and again...

Lewisia 'little Plum'

The website I checked seemed to indicate it was easy to grow and was drought tolerant, usually a plus in our normal summer climate here, but this summer we have had a lot of rain just like last year, so maybe that's the new normal. It is supposedly an ideal rock garden plant, but doesn't like to much sunshine...

It has a low fleshy rosette of leaves ( 4-6 inches tall) with star-shaped pink flowers late spring/ early summer. It is already blooming, but I'm not sure how long the flowers last.


Ligularia- no tag so I'm not sure which variety


The ligularia is still waiting for its permanent home. I started digging a hole for it in my wild bed at the end of the yard, but the mosquitos were so fierce and were trying to eat me alive, so I retreated into the house. Probably just as well as I'm rethinking the idea of putting the ligularia there... I also bought a new hosta yesterday so I might just put it there instead, but... where to put my ligularia....? 

There's a spot in the flower bed next to the house which I was saving for my canna lily... if it ever grows big enough to take out of the pot that I started it in.


Will decide tomorrow.  :)

   





No comments:

Post a Comment