My Blog List

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Autumn is Definitely Here


Golden poplar leaves


Had an interesting walk along the trails through the bush out here yesterday. It was a hot sunny day, about 26C, believe it or not, (after 3 weeks of cool, damp, rainy weather with killer frost every other night!) A warm wind was blowing quite fiercely and showering me with leaves blown off the trees!  I love once the leaves dry on the ground and they crunch when you walk on them!

Mountain Ash colors

Ornamental cherry tree




Last dahlia tuber has been safely stowed in a bag of peat moss in the laundry room ready for winter.  The tuberous begonias are next and once the frost kills them , the glad bulbs. For now I'm leaving them as long as they are green to grow and add strength to the bulbs. Then maybe next year I will have more success in getting them to bloom. They are my birth month flower (August), but sadly, I didn't manage to get any this year. :(            (Maybe I'll check at Sobeys! LOL!)


Early fall morning...

Migrating canada Geese
 I am amazed that my alyssum is still looking so great after all the frosts we have had! I knew that snap dragons and pansies are very hardy ( to -7C) but did not know that alyssum is, too!  Even my black-eyed Susan are still looking quite nice. Likely because they are close to the east side of the house and somewhat protected there.

The fall colors are so gorgeous! Too bad it only lasts about 3 weeks out here! The poplars are a beautiful golden yellow! Not a lot of reds, only a few of the smaller wild shrubs along the trails, but my ornamental cherry is a beautiful burgundy and the mountain ash leaves are orange and red...

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful fall morning picture. It looks like you got up quite early to take this one. Love the orange-pink clouds.

    ReplyDelete